Friday, April 3, 2020

ARRRGH! THE HOUSE SHRANK

 

Wasn't gone for long, just to get some essentials.
Costco line was quite long, carts snaking outside
Proper social distance apart, of course.
Few people inside, the store was so spacious.
Shelves mostly well stocked, ‘cept for TP of course.
Driving home empty roads seem unusually wide.
But while I was gone, THE HOUSE SHRANK.
Two week’s worth of supplies, the bags fill the hall.
No place to walk. Ouch, that’s Lego underfoot.
And there’s such a lot, even under the couch.
No room for the food; did the fridge shrink?
Where’s my favourite chair; I’m sure I left it there.
Aha, its part of a fort of pillows and sheets.
And who’s been on my computer playing solitaire?
Oops. That might have been me.
Help! My brain shrank!
What to do? What to do?
Breathe in and breathe out.
Tearing my hair…
No stop that, the salon is closed
The dentist too, so no grinding of teeth.
Stamping my feet, I let out a yell… ARRRGH!!!
The kids follow suit. They stamp their feet too
And soon there’s a rhythm, a good solid beat.
We troop outside to the front of the house
Stamping and clapping and singing too.
Some neighbours applaud and add to the noise
With clanging of pots and improvised drums.
Amidst laughter and giggles, we all call together
“Stay safe and stay home. We’re in this together.”
I find space in the fridge for all the fresh food
The rest of the groceries can be piled and wait
We eat lunch in the fort and looking around
I see that the house has adjusted; its just the right size.


No comments:

Post a Comment