Monday, April 13, 2020

SOMEWHERE TO REST A WHILE

 














I am Hatshepsut, ruler of the two lands.
Foremost of Noblewoman, I am King.
Standing on a terrace of my temple,
I can see far across the kingdom
where desert meets fertile green
and beyond that to the mighty river
that snakes throughout the land.
A bond that ties our mighty nation;
gifting us with life and transportation.
 
While I rule, there is peace and joy.
My balanced life ensures the water will be high,
flooding fields, so crops can grow and cattle graze
while fish jump high into open nets.
 
I have built this temple, in the sacred mountain
Not far from where my tomb is dug;
a special place, where I can rest awhile.
For time will come when I must take
the journey through the Underworld,
past gates and demons, to my eternal fate.
Painted spells and incantations 
will safely guide my way.
And you will bring me gifts of food 
and say my name aloud
For while my name is spoken, 
I will never die.
My memory will live on forever, 
and I will never die.




2 comments: