Wednesday, March 25, 2020

FOR RYAN

 Dedicated to the Shtuka family of Beaumont, Alberta

Ryan, you don’t know me.
We have never met, but I know a lot about you.
We have this in common; we both love Sun Peaks,
Where the sun shines most days, and snow falls,
As it should, overnight.
Three mountains leading to the village in the valley,
Bustling with friendly people and lively places to meet and eat.
We could have been at Bottoms together,
But by the time I got there, you had gone.
Disappeared without a trace.

I know you, Ryan, because since that day,
Your mother has posted pictures, videos, stories
And candid introspective thoughts.
I have seen baby pictures, toddler videos
And the handsome young man that you have become.
I know if we met, Ryan, I would like your smile
And the mischievous twinkle in your eyes.
I have cheered from afar, your lovely sisters who,
By the way, are doing very well.
They are champions in my eyes. They would make you proud.
Your parents are our heroes. I’m sure they’re yours too.
We marvel at their strength, their humor and their truth.

You would likely be embarrassed if you knew
That a cute green dinosaur has become a symbol for your search.
And you might feign impatience at the fuss that is being made.
MISSING: Ryan Shtuka billboards on highways,
and posters pinned in stores.

A community has grown, Ryan, with your parents at the helm,
To keep the search relentless until you are back home.
There are no sign posts or directions
To know which way to go, on the continuing journey,
to bring Ryan home.




No comments:

Post a Comment