Wednesday, March 17, 2021

One Year Later

One year ago, today I gave myself a personal challenge to write a poem a day during COVID 19 isolation. I optimistically assumed that everything would be back to normal in a month or so. After 36 poems, I stopped the daily regime and wrote when the spirit moved me. It’s been 365 days of our new order. To date, I have written 63 poems.


I had a dream of empty streets, a lifeless, listless scene.

Shuttered storefronts, windows dark and blind.

People sparsely scattered, skirting skittishly around;

Eyes alert, behind muffling masks, smiles blanked. 

What happened to the urban bustle, the hustle of daily life?

This seems to be a foreign land with everyone a stranger

distant from one another, no interactions or cheerful greetings;

a mournful quiet; a deep sadness settling down. 

What is this world, so far from what I’ve known?

Is this vision real or a scary made up movie scene?

If I pinch myself, will I wake up 

to see airplanes flying and people dancing

to hear sounds of laughter and music in the streets?

No. Don’t answer me. I know the truth. 

But just for now, let's pretend that reality is a dream

because we can wake from dreams, 

and someday soon we will.


No comments:

Post a Comment